Like Us  
   ; Follow Us  


Wednesday 23 January 2013

Wapjoint - Job Interview Tips

SHARE with Friends



Most countries of the world today have challenges with unemployment. It is more dangerous when the unemployed are majorly youths. Series of Applications have been written by job seeking individuals. If you are eventually shortlisted or called for an interview, you will need to
do some things right. These tips would help you have better chances in securing the job. I’ll also be talking about some experiences I’ve had with interviews. Enjoy!

“Good Morning, am I speaking with  ???? . You’ve been invited for an interview at ???  Company on ???Date by??? Time”

If you’ve received a call like this, the first thing you feel is Joy, but don’t be too excited. You’ve got work to do.

Interviews are about convincing the interviewer that you are the best person for the job.

Here are the Tips:

1.       Background Information
The first thing you need to do is a background check of the company. Know all the necessary details of the company, not just the address. If they have a website, check it. Don’t bother cramming their information, just understand it well enough.

Scene1:
I was called some years ago for an interview at Ikeja by 9am the next morning. Since it was a “not too popular” company, the first thing I asked the caller was the website of the company. He told me and immediately after dropping the call, I went through their website. It was a construction company. I went for interview the next day and I was dishing out their information to them as if it was my company. The interviewer asked how I knew so much and I told him I got the info from their website.  It turned out that I was the only candidate that visited their website. I was among the few called for the last phase of the interview the next day.

I know the question on your mind. Did I get the job? Unfortunately, No. I was offered a ridiculous amount, and I told them I wasn’t interested. They called me the next day, but I told them the same thing.

2.      Look Smart
Don’t dress casual even if it is a small company, or maybe your uncles’ organization. Always look well-dressed when going for an Interview. Iron your cloth. Don’t use unnecessary accessories. Wear a suit- if you have one.


Scene2:
I was working for an IT Firm and they had openings. They wanted a smart looking lady. I was appointed to receive the candidates and write down their information. Lots of good looking ladies came but there was one bad egg. She came in with her shirt unbuttoned from the top, revealing parts of her breast. I was far from impressed. In fact I was disgusted.  I later found out that she didn’t pass the interview and the most shocking was that she attended the same institution i attended.

Don’t even bother asking me that question because I won’t tell you. lol


3.      Materials
 Remember, it’s an interview but anything can happen. A short written test could be given so be prepared. Go along with your writing materials.

4.      Smile
I’d advise you to start smiling from home before you get to the company. Smile all the way. If you don’t know how to smile, start learning today. Smiling actually creates a good impression of you. If you get offended by the interviewer, don’t take it personal. Remember, it’s just an interview.

5.      Be Polite
From the security guard at the gate to the interviewer, BE POLITE! Don’t be rude with your words or actions. Even to the cleaners or messengers. You never know who could recommend you for the job.

6.      Do Not Seat
When you eventually get to the interview room, greet everyone politely. And wait for a response. There would probably be an empty seat in front of you, but don not seat. Sooner or later you would be told to sit.

7.      Be  Confident
You might be the most qualified for the job, or even the brightest of all the candidates. If your confidence level is low, you might not get the job. Usually, this is a challenge faced by introverts i.e. people who are not outspoken or shy.

8.      Use your hands, eyes etc.
Body language is very important. You might be smiling, and you’re not truly happy. You might be saying a fact and it might look like a lie. HR Officers are skilled in identifying pretence. Your ability to use your hands shows a lot of things. E.g. Confidence, Good Interpersonal Skill, Good Communication Skill etc. Maintain eye contact. Don’t look elsewhere when you’re being addressed or when you’re talking to the interviewer.

9.      Know your Worth
Often you’ll be asked “How much are you willing to be paid”. Firstly, be reasonable. You don’t want to scare them away or look too cheap. Secondly, you need to have a figure at the back of your mind. Let me ask you. What is the lowest amount you can take for any job what-so-ever? If you answered that, you need to always recall it. For example, yours might be N120,000 Monthly. You can call it your bench mark. It means even if an employer is willing to offer you N119,000  , you won’t take it. Most employers just want to hear you talk about money to see your reaction; some might just want to cheat you.

I’ll teach you how you can use this tip to your advantage.

For example; if your benchmark is N120,000

Interviewer: How much do you want us to pay you?
You: I believe the company has a salary structure. I’ll agree to be paid in accordance with it.
Interviewer: We don t have a salary structure.
You: Ok ill take N120,000 upwards
Interviewer: That is not a figure.pls mention a figure
You: Ok N120,000
Interviewer: If we can only pay you N119,000 can we call you for the job?
You: Don’t call me
Interviewer: Are you sure we shouldn’t call you if we can pay just that?
You: Yes, I am. Don’t call me

“I know you might be panicking or even shaking your head right now. A company that can afford to pay N119,000 can also afford to pay N120,000. Why was I offered N119,000 after I mentioned N120,000. The truth is that the interviewer was not particular about the money, he was just trying to see if you are consistent, greedy, desperate, and if you know what you want”


10.  Finally, Rest well!
Some individuals might not be able to get a good night rest due to excitement. Some might even study G-Mat and aptitude test questions till they fall asleep. This is not good for your brain or even your body as a whole. The truth is you will perform better at the interview if you had a good night rest.

Hope this Article was helpful. Feel free to criticize, comment, or add suggestions to this article.
If you used these tips and got job, I’ll be glad to hear from you.

Do you like this Article? Click Here to read to more articles
Let me write for you. Contact me : olowusamson@gmail.com

Visit Wapjoint Jobs for latest jobs and apply
This Article is written by Samson Olowu

Coming soon: Interview Questions and Answers!


SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS

GET FREE UPDATES
Enter your email address:
A Confirmation Email will be sent to you by "Feedburner", Please Click the link to Complete your FREE! Subscription

Still can't find What you are looking for?
SEARCH BELOW


RELATED POST
Related Posts Plugin for  WordPress, Blogger...
Have Your Say!

No comments:

Post a Comment